(The bars highlighted blue have a full profile and write-up – clicking through the link will take you to their profile page)
Top 10 for Choice and/or quality of drinks:
Top 10 for Style and Décor:
- Szimpla Kert – Budapest, Kazinczy u. 14, 1075 Hungary – The original and still the best ‘ruin’ pub.
- Zlatna Ribica – Kaptol 5, Sarajevo 71000, Bosnia and Herzegovina – Trinkets, goldfish, old TV’s and vintage furniture.
- Alchemia – Estery 5, 31-056 Kraków, Poland – Rotting, ruined antique furniture and peeling paint.
- Goupil Le Fol – Rue de la Violette 22, 1000 Bruxelles, Belgium – Cosy Jazz bunker with books and records nailed to the walls.
- Schlenkerla – Dominikanerstraße 6, 96049 Bamberg, Germany – The ultimate Germanic medieval tavern.
- Café Vlissinghe – Blekersstraat 2, 8000 Brugge, Belgium– Authentic medieval Flemish inn continuously in operation since 1515.
- Eszewaria – Józefa 9, 31-056 Kraków, Poland – Vintage furniture, gnarled stained surroundings.
- Neon Side – Ruska 46C, 11-400 Wrocław, Poland – Recovered neon signage creates a mini-Blade Runner courtyard
- Fogas Haz – Budapest, Akácfa u. 49-51, 1073 Hungary – Sprawling venue of various styles and something to look at in each room.
- Monk – Rue Sainte-Catherine 42, 1000 Bruxelles, Belgium – A careful, lavish and classy recreation of an upscale Brown Café
Top 10 for Atmosphere and/or Local life:
- Szimpla Kert – Budapest, Kazinczy u. 14, 1075 Hungary – The matchless atmosphere of young people relaxing and having a good time in a unique partly open-air venue.
- Zlatna Ribica – Kaptol 5, Sarajevo 71000, Bosnia and Herzegovina – Brooding chintzy tradition meets-the-orient eccentricity
- Alchemia – Estery 5, 31-056 Kraków, Poland – Crimson candlelit woozy quality with live music and drinkers spilling out onto the street
- Goupil Le Fol – Rue de la Violette 22, 1000 Bruxelles, Belgium – Hazy windowless jazz bunker that feels secret and special
- Snekutis (Uzupis) – 01204, Polocko g. 7A, Vilnius 01204, Lithuania – Unparalleled DIY rustic feel shared by old men, local bohemians and travellers alike.
- Schlenkerla – Dominikanerstraße 6, 96049 Bamberg, Germany – Medieval tavern and cloistered banqueting hall hosting proud Franconians and excited travellers
- U Hrocha – Thunovská 10/2, 118 00 Malá Strana, Czechia – Prague locals and tourists alike, characterful taproom and operation.
- Papa Joe’s Biersalon – Alter Markt 50-52, 50667 Köln, Germany – Eccentric jazz and oompah singalong venue packed with local character.
- A Baiuca – Fado Vadio – Rua de S.Miguel nr.20, Alfama, 1100-544 Lisboa, Portugal – Passionate folk crooning in someone’s kitchen amongst an attentive and authentic crowd.
- Garden Henry – Kranjceviceva 8, 42000, Varaždin, Croatia – The rebels of Varazdin’s cycling-community gather in the fantastically decorated courtyard and garden for unlicensed drinking and hanging out.
Top 10 for Amenities and Events:
- Szimpla Kert – Budapest, Kazinczy u. 14, 1075 Hungary – Live music, shisha, breakfast + lunch, social events and outside area
- Papa Joe’s Biersalon – Alter Markt 50-52, 50667 Köln, Germany – Live music and performances of various kinds, boistrous singalongs and bar snacks
- Snekutis Uzupis – 01204, Polocko g. 7A, Vilnius 01204, Lithuania – Home-brew beer, rustic food from a home kitchen, local events
- Ellato Kert – Budapest, Kazinczy u. 48, 1075 Hungary – Live music, social events, garden terrace
- Fogas Haz – Budapest, Akácfa u. 49-51, 1073 Hungary – Live music and performances across a myriad of platforms, games rooms, social events, rooftop bar
- Alchemia – Estery 5, 31-056 Kraków, Poland – Live music, social events, adjoining food kiosks, street drinking
- Opium – Jakuba 19, 31-057 Kraków, Poland – Live music, live sport, some food options, outside area
- Senamiestis Snekutis – Šv. Mikalojaus g. 15, Vilnius 01133, Lithuania – Live music, sport, food, food options and games
- Traveller’s Pub – 43 Soukenická, Český Krumlov, Czechia, 381 01 – Adjoining hostel sharing the usual facilities
- Piwna Stopa – Szewska 7, 61-760 Poznań, Poland – Live sport, food, pub quiz, barbecues, outside area, pub dog
Top 10 for Value For Money:
- Angel Inn – 1 Angel Inn Yard, City Centre, Leeds, LS1 6LN – A good pint for less than £2 can still be obtained in the UK
- U Cerneho Vola – Loretánské nám. 107/1, 118 00 Praha 1, Czechia – 33 czk for a quality beer in a quality pub right next to Prague Castle
- U Poutnika – Vstup branou č.p. 14, Starobrněnská 16/18, 602 00 Brno-střed, Czechia – 30czk a pint at a great pub in the centre of Brno
- Bernard pri Lyceu – Konventná 634/19 81103 Bratislava, 811 03 Staré Mesto, Slovakia – Top quality Bernard pivo for barely a euro
- Budvarka – Karla IV. 8, 370 01 České Budějovice, Czechia – Tank Budvar from the home of Budvar for pennies
- U Prasivka (a.k.a Klasterni Pivnice) – Ovenecká 1022/15, Prague, Czechia – 24 crowns for a half litre, a 10 minute tram from the old town.
- California Club – Tyršova 1753/2, 360 01 Karlovy Vary, Czechia – Budvar for 20 crowns, Pilsner Urquell for 30, in a good pub.
- Hostinec U Rotundy – Karoliny Světlé 1035/17, 110 00 Staré Město, Prague, Czechia – Under a pound a pint in Prague old town, this echo from another era is still going strong.
- U Certa – Masarykovo námesti 23, 379 01 Třeboň, Czechia – Out in the sticks in Czechia, no surprise to find beer for pennies
- Proletaryat – Wrocławska 9, 61-838 Poznań, Poland – Barely over a pound a pint for their own brew, great value
Top Ten All-Rounders:
- Szimpla Kert – Budapest, Kazinczy u. 14, 1075 Hungary – The best combo of drinks, decor, atmosphere, amenities and good value in Europe.
- Piwna Stopa – Szewska 7, 61-760 Poznań – Other than the toilets, everything about this place is very good or superb.
- Schlenkerla – Dominikanerstraße 6, 96049 Bamberg, Germany – A rich, traditional experience covering all pub wants and needs.
- Eleszto – Budapest, Tűzoltó u. 22, 1094 Hungary – Modern, stylish but very well executed, good value and a good atmosphere, with plenty to do.
- T.E.A. Time – Dietla 1, 31-070 Kraków, Poland – English style cask ale, fish and chips and pub quiz, they have hardly put a foot wrong with any aspect of this pub.
- K.K.C – Skolas iela 15, Centra rajons, Rīga, LV-1010, Latvia – Latvia’s take on a ruin bar. Does the full range of pub stuff very well.
- Spiz – Ratusz 2, 50-106 Wrocław, Poland – A central European Ratskeller is a special thing indeed and this institution proves how well it can be done.
- Café Vlissinghe – Blekersstraat 2, 8000 Brugge, Belgium – Rich in history, with good beer, great surroundings, warm homely and local, with food options, boules in the garden, a pub dog and decent value. Fantastic.
- U Vejvodu – Jilská 4, 110 00 Staré Město, Czechia – A traditional taproom pub upstairs with live sport, great cheap beer and a vibrant atmosphere, then a sprawling Pivnice downstairs with uncomplicated affordable Czech food. Covering most bases there.
- The Red Deer – 18 Pitt St, Sheffield S1 4DD – Traditional pub with a real fire, great choice of cask ales, fresh food, folk music, a courtyard, a band practise room upstairs and a social venue for the university close by. A community hub covering all bases really well.